Every good manager plans the development of their team with an aim to make sure that the learning and development offered is relevant to our the organisation, team and individuals. Personal development, effective career management and succession planning are linked together. They involve individuals who:
- Are aware of their aspirations, strengths and areas for development;
- Know what they want, what they are good at and those areas they need to improve upon, or not be involved with;
- Are in a good position to manage their career.
- Are aware of opportunities that either are available or may become available.
- They are forward-thinking about their roles and what they need to do to achieve their aspirations.
Their manager is responsible for monitoring the progress of each employee, including coaching them towards meeting their performance and career goals. A good manager empowers their employees, providing them with tools, guidance, challenge and support.
This means that in practice they have multiple roles with their team:
- A role model -demonstrating interest and activity in your own career development;
- An information source – providing information to your team about business direction, organizational changes as well as career/job-related development and career opportunities;
- Encouraging them to consider and take on career/job-related development and recognize them when they do this;
- Meet with them to guide and support the implementation of their Development Plan;
- Assess their strengths and weaknesses provide them with constructive feedback;
- Create on-the-job development opportunities; and
- Provide time, budget, and work environment that encourages and reinforces learning and sharing
The role of the individual in the Development Planning process is to:
- Think about their career interests, and the skills, knowledge, and experience they need to achieve their career aspirations;
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to achieve their performance objectives; and to
- Be prepared to adapt to changing business needs