I often run a short (90m) coaching workshop. Sometimes this will be a standalone, other times it will be part of a longer programme or conference session.
I use the basic GROW (Goal, Current Reality, Options, Will) model as it is simple and familiar to many people. It also works. I start by going through the model, working through an example and looking for examples for the group to reinforce this. We then brainstorm GROW questions, pinning each question into the GROW element that best fits it. That leads to some good discussion, before we break into threes to practise some live coaching, with one Coach, one Coachee and one Observer. They use the brainstormed questions to run through the practise exercise. We then do a whole group debrief. I’ll have been wandering around, listening, watching, encouraging and giving the odd nudge here and there.
Here are some Great Coaching Questions to use yourself :
• Where do you want to be?
• Where do you see yourself in 1, 3, 5 years’ time?
• What are you looking to achieve, and why?
• How would being successful make you feel?
• Where are you heading to?
• What are you ambitions / aspirations?
• What is the end result you want to achieve?
• Why is that important to you?
• What would success look like?
• How will you know/feel when you’ve achieved it?
• What does it look like when it’s done well ?
• What would you like to get from this conversation?
• What is the dream?
• Where do you feel you are at the moment?
• Where are we at the moment?
• What’s is others’ current perception of you?
• Who do you need to influence?
• How did you get to where you are now?
• How do you feel right now?
• If you had to do it again, what would you do differently?
• What has or hasn’t worked for you before?
• What could trip you up?
• How do you feel about your opportunities?
• What are the barriers?
• What options are available to you?
• What resources are available to you?
• How would you describe the opportunity?
• What support do you need?
• Who could provide you with that support?
• How could you approach this (achieving this goal)?
• If you knew you wouldn’t fail, what would you do?
• What is the opportunity/challenge here?
• How could you make this a more enjoyable experience?
• How will you know when you have achieved it?
• What are the milestones?
• What do you need to do first?
• Who will you need to talk to?
• What are you going to do, and by when?
• What’s the most meaningful action you could take now?
• What resources or information would help you to decide?
• How can you keep yourself motivated?
• On a scale of 1 to 10, how motivated are you to achieving this goal?
• What will it take to turn a 6 into a 9?
• How often do you want to ‘check in’ on your progress?
Good luck. Let me know how you get on.